Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I was on the underground train, and all of a sudden

Customer Question

Hello, I was on the underground train, and all of a sudden the train just filled up with dust and it actually looked foggy/misty could this dust be asbestos?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

asbestos is not used anymore

the dust most likely is not asbestos and just dust and smog from the train which stopped.

I wouldn't stress about breathing in asbestos

do you smoke?

smoking is bad for your lungs as well

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the train was travelling and because its underground and i know that the underground is very old and read that there is asbestos in the underground. I used to smoke

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see.

I'm glad you quit smoking

you can see your doctor and get a chest xray to check for asbestos in your lungs

but I bet your chest xray will be completely normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. David what do you think the dust that filled the train was? And based on what i have told you that the underground is filled with asbestos as it was built long time ago. Im worried.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I told you

I think the dust from that drain was dust and smog from the drain, not asbestos.

asbestos was used in the past for insulation around pipes and buildings

they didn't use it in underground subway tunnels.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when you say drain do you mean train?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, I meant train.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i don't understand what you said sorry you think the dust was from the train itself. Because it looked like it came from outside not in the train its as if the train traveled through a load of dust?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
an there is a lot of dust and dirt on the tracks

when the drain stops, it kicks up a lot of dust

this is not asbestos.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i understand what you are saying but when i experienced the dust exposure it was while the train was moving. And i have read that asbestos is everywere on the underground including the tunnels were the trains are travelling through i don't know what to do.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
go see your doctor

and get your lungs examined

and get a chest xray

but I bet your chest xray will be normal

that is what you should do

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the advice doctor, but i just would like to know what you think that dust could of been as asbestos is present in the underground including tunnels.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I told you

I don't think there was asbestos in that dust

asbestos is used to insulate pipes and buildings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i understand doctor but i have read that asbestos is in the underground including tunnels?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I disagree with that

where did you read that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

copied and pasted this from the website

Asbestos is "all over the place" on London Underground and the east end of the Central line is "in a bad way", a Tube worker has told International Business Times UK.

Alan Jenkins, a Tube signal worker and RMT union activist, said: "[The east end of the Central line] is in a bad way. [The asbestos] is above and beyond anywhere else on the whole of the Underground system."

Jenkins said the asbestos runs all the way along the tunnel walls from Mile End station to the east end of the line.

"They have painted it with encapsulating paint. The concern we have got is that paint could easily chip off and expose the asbestos.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
well, there is nothing you can do if there was abestos in the dust.

the only way to find out is to see your doctor and get a chest xray and examination of your lungs

asbestos can stay inert in your lungs for years and years

and if you dont smoke, the asbestos in small amounts can just stay inert in your lungs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you think that it was asbestos?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, I don't think it was asbestos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

whats your reason for thinking it wasn't asbestos

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the chance for asbestos in any one particular stop is low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what do you mean in one particular stop?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
your train stopping that one time only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the train stopping? IM sorry i still don't understand. The train was travelling when the dust came in.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
your anxiety seems to be bad about this worry about asbestos

I said that I don't think there was asbestos and you keep worrying about it

and you don't seem to be willing to see your doctor to get a chest xray

do you have excessive anxiety symptoms ?

are you taking medicaitons to help decrease anxiety?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have made a note doctor of what you have said and its just because i have read articles that there is asbestos on the underground and i came across a cloud of dust that filled the train it got me worried that it could be asbestos. Is this not a normal reaction

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you didn't answer my questions about excessive anxiety and if you are on treatment for excessive anxiety.

so what are you going to do if it was asbestos in the dust?

what good is that information for you to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am not on any treatment for anxiety, i have been offered before by a doctor but did not like the sound of the side affects. If there was asbestos in the dust then that won't be good

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
well, there is nothing you can do about it if it did have asbestos in the dust or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes you are right doctor, but i don't know if im being paranoid or not....what do you think honestly

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are displaying characteristics of someone who has excessive anxiety symptoms

that is why I asked if you have excessive anxiety.

your anxiety causes you to continue to dwell on this worry

and your head goes in circles worrying about it

and you can't do anything about it.

you have refused to take anti-anxiety mediations before

so you will continue to worry about something

and you have chosen to worry about asbestos in dust in the underground train.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i understand my anxiety but is this nothing to be concerned about? Because just the thought of being exposed to asbestos scares me.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, this is nothing to be scared about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so you don't think this cloud of dust that entered the train while it was travelling underground was asbestos?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I told you before I don't think the cloud of dust had asbestos in it.

we seem to keep going around in circles here

you seem to keep asking the same questions over and over.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry dr.david im just really scared that i got exposed to asbestos. Despite what i have told you about asbestos in the underground and tunnels you still think it is unlikely there was asbestos in that cloud of dust that filled the train.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, I think it is unlikely you have been exposed to asbestos

please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply, Dr.David you have a different picture up?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, it is a different picture up.