Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Last week, i keep waking at night (sometimes 4-5) times

for the last week, i keep waking at night (sometimes 4-5) times choking and gasping
for air. I cannot catch my breath and feel like I am drowning. I eventually catch
my breath and have a series of belching and burping to exhale air which then seems
to unblock my airway. I have been to my doctors twice but they do not seem to be taking this seriously and I am really concerned. This followed a bad cough and chest infection, which I now seem to be over, however still need to clear my throat often. Please help,
as I feel that no-one is listening.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Do you have any symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, headache, bad taste in mouth, change in voice specially in morning etc? Have they done any tests so far? What treatment you have been given so far? Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Martin please provide the above info. I am here to help you. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

slight irritation in throat and need to clear throat as seem to have a tickle there from time to time. No treatment given - had chest X-ray waiting

for result, but went to A&E and doctor there said he did not think it was chest infection. Waiting for ENT consult but over a week so far and I

am finding this difficult to cope with as not getting very much sleep as so frightened to sleep.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. I am myself an Assistant Professor of ENT and can guide you. As per your description, there can be two possibilities. This can be a sinus infection causing excessive mucus in your sinuses and that is tickling in throat and causing breathing difficulty as well. There can be associated acid reflux from throat which can equally contribute to your symptoms. Blenching and burping points towards acid reflux. Further tests are required to get to the cause but for now, don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations over the counter available xylometazoline nasal spray 2 puffs thrice daily for five days, mucinex twice daily for 14 days, tablet claritin once daily and capsule omeprazole 20 mg twice daily for 2 weeks can help you a lot. Moreover taking steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily is recommended. All this is available over the counter but one must inform his doctor before taking any medicine. You should sleep on your side and can use a pillow on one side to avoid lying straight. Put some packing material under head side of your beg legs to raise it by 30 degree. This will prevent acid reflux to throat at night. Lastly avoid tea, coffee, alcohol and smoking. Avoid sleeping just after your meal. Once you visit your doctor, request them to get CT scan of your sinuses and they should rule you out for sleep apnea. I am hopeful that you will feel much better after following my suggestions. My best wishes and prayers will follow you. You can keep me updated about your health any time by visiting this page. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are these medicines available over the counter here in UK?

Would you recommend taking all of these things at the same time?

I am willing to try anything that you think may help this condition.

I am hopeful it is a sinus infection that will clear as you say. re acid reflux, I do not feel anything coming up in my throat at all so had thought it probably was not this, but can this be the cause even though I have not liquid coming up?

It is a comfort knowing that you are a ENT practitioner as this is exactly who I felt could help me.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are. Yes they can be taken at the same time but as i said, I can just suggest, you must inform your doctor before taking any medicine. However many patients of mine do take these medicines in cases like yours without any problem. It is not necessary to feel acid in such cases. One can just have the symptoms like yours in such cases of reflux. All the best :) Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help - appreciate it and hoping that it will clear it up.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. I wish you all the best for a recovery. Please keep me updated. I will be glad to assist you always. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr Hassan

I am now taking all of the medicines with the exception of Mucinex which my pharmacist could not supply me with.

My condition is still the same, waking on average 4/5 times each night, but now it has changed, to much more belching and I seem to need to belch out the gas to be able to breath. I am trying to control my breathing through my nose, but still waking up with a start and then this starts.

Appreciate your help. I have an ENT consultants appointment for 7 July, but this seems like a long way off and I am waking the whole house every night with these horrid episodes and we are all not sleeping.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr Hassan

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Martin thank you for your input. What are your questions and concerns about this problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr Hasan

I am worried why this is happening to me and what I can do about it.

Do you think that there is anything else I can do at present.

I think that the omeprazole is making this condition worse - can this happen? and do you have any thoughts about the belching and gas that I seem to need to belch out during the night to be able to breath - this is all very frightening. I do seem to have more mucus in my throat now and I have started coughing during the daytime and seem to need to clear my throat more often. I feel fine in myself, but the lack of sleep is very difficult to deal with.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Dear Martin, I have suggested already about the measures you can do. I am sorry but I think you should ask for earlier appointment. If you think that it's omeprazole, then you should stop it and see how it goes. Martin I am sorry I can understand that you are in trouble but I think you should seek medical advice as you have tried over the counter things with no avail. Regards