Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I picked what I thought was a spot on my chest last nite.

hi.
I picked what I thought was a spot on my chest last nite. I now think its a blood vessel.its not stopped bleeding since 11pm last nite. I am 35 wks pregnant with twins so have been taking asprin throughout.what shall I do
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The next step would depend upon the severity of the ongoing bleeding.

If the ongoing bleeding is mild, then it would be appropriate to apply a pressure dressing. A simple pressure dressing can be constructed by folding a gauze pad into fourths and place it over the area, then cover with an unfolded gauze pad and tape tightly in place. The bleeding also may be slowed by applying an ice pack over the wound, and by slowing the bleeding, the pressure may be able to stop the bleeding.

If the bleeding is more severe, or even if mild bleeding is persistent, then it would be appropriate to use interventions to coagulate the site of bleeding, such as with silver nitrate sticks or electrocautery. This is usually done in a doctor’s office, although silver nitrate sticks are available over the counter in some countries.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks. ill try ice and more pressure. then doctors. its slow bleeding but very persistent. cann this effect my twins that im carrying?

Bleeding from picking a skin lesion typically will not affect the pregnancy. It would require a large amount of bleeding to affect the pregnancy, and this would not happen from slow bleeding from picking a skin lesion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok. the ice pack seems to be working.

many thanks

jane

You are most welcome.