Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I'm 57 and have over last 4-5 months put on 4.5 kilos which

Customer Question

I'm 57 and have over last 4-5 months put on 4.5 kilos which is totally unlike me. I'm slim with no history of weight gain or loss, even as I went through menopause. Anti depressant medication change coincided with weight gain (Trimipramine). Thyroid tests normal though I do have some other indications of hypothyroidism .No significant changes in diet or lifestyle.
Clothes not longer fit, my appearance has obviously changed and it's getting me down.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. What were your other indications for possible low thyroid and do you know what your TSH level is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Long standing issues with puffy eyes, greatly thinning eyebrows, very dry skin and hair and chronic tiredness (though that could be down to anything.)

TSH just measured at 2.09, no more detailed results. Father had a goitre.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Dee. With the symptoms you have and that TSH level, I consider you hypothyroid since your TSH should be closer to 1.0. It's possible that your doctor is not aware of newer guidelines from the endocrinology society about this. You need to discuss this with him and, if necessary, see an endocrinologist and be placed on thyroid hormone supplementation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that. I have suspected hypothyroidism for some time, but did nothing until I informed myself a bit better and it began to make more sense.

Asked to be referred to endocrinologist though it was done with some reluctance given seemingly normal TSH results. Got a letter back from endocrinologist to say she wouldn't see me as TSH levels indicated it unnecessary and "hope that you feel better soon". Where from here please.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Then talk to your doctor about either his putting you on the medication or being referred to a different endocrinologist. I think it was totally unprofessional for that endocrinologist not to actually see you in tneir office for an interview and exam.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Again, thank you. Lastly you mentioned newer endocrinology guidelines which my doctor may not be aware of. How do I address that issue on return to my doctor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you again. Lastly you mentioned newer endocrinology guidelines which my doctor may be unaware of. How do I address that issue on return to my doctor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Lastly you mentioned newer endocrinology guidelines which my doctor may not be aware of. How do I address that issue on return to my doctor.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I was off.. Here's a link you can show your doctor

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/a/labs2003.htm