Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I dare myself to do things I don't really want to do. They

Customer Question

I dare myself to do things I don't really want to do. They are usually sexual. I have obsessive thoughts and feel very depressed from time to time. I actively try to humiliate myself in different ways and have very spontaneous thoughts. Am I bipolar?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like

It definitely sounds like you have a major low self-esteem problem and you may well be bipolar too.

What has the counselor and psychiatric nurse had to say about this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm too ashamed to admit to some of the things I have gotten into (nothing illegal), but I seem to get some kind of "rush" out of humiliating myself. I usually have an urge to do it when something positive happens to me. My psychiatric nurse is reluctant to refer me to a psychiatrist because he thinks I am doing ok.

But as soon as something good happens I want to turn it around by making myself feel bad. It is akin to OCD I think.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is indeed also a kind of OCD. You should ask for the psychiatric referral despite what your nurse thinks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there any way I can do this without a GP? I have missed a few appointments due to depression already and am reluctant to go back in.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Are you on any medications?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, never have been.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, you really should discuss this with a doctor first but you could try St John's wort, acupuncure and valerian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I thought St Johns Wort didn't count because its herbal. The urges don't go away when I take it. I feel like I need something to sedate my mind. Maybe Mirtazapine? My friend says its really good.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Mirtazepine would be a great choice for you but you'd need a doctor's prescription for it John.