DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

26 year old female with menatrual problems.

Hello, 26 year old female with menatrual problems. For the past year periods have become so light, bleed for just a day and some months it's just a few drops of brown blood. Hair has become very dry. Noticed I get cramps in my toes often now. I had a copper coil for four years, not long after this was removed periods became very scanty. I have been off contraception for around 5 months now and although me and my boyfriend aren't actually trying (ovulation kits and all) I still haven't managed to conceive. I would really appreciate any advice as I am so worried. I must also mention (of which I'm not proud) I have been pregant twice before once at 18 once at 20, and I had both pregnancies terminated. Starting to think karma is back to get me now. Thank you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You have symptoms of hypothyroid.
Have you had a blood test for TSH?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, no I haven't as yet. I went to my drs a few months a go before we started trying for a baby, they told me that as I was still having a bleed that everything should be fine and brushed me off. Not good at all. Does this mean I will not be able to conceive if I am
Hypothyroid?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No
But it can interfere with all of your hormones.
You need complete hormone testing from your doctors.
This would include
TSH and T4
Sex hormone panel and SHBG
Adrenal hormone panel.
As them to check this.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! My biggest fear was that I was going through early menopause! Glad to at least be on the right track of what it may be, I shall book in for the blood tests and have screen shot the things you have listed that I should be tested for.
One last thing, is there effective treatment for this and if so is it possible my periods will return as normal if it works?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Treatment depends on what is diagnosed, but yes, there is effective treatment for hypothyroidism.
It should help stabilize periods.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.