Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

This is question about marriage and genetics, which is

Hi, This is question about marriage and genetics, which is concerning me right now, my mum and dad are first cousins, her mum and dad are first cousins, my parents want me to marry my first cousin, so my mum and her mum are sisters, my dad and her dad are brothers. Very complicated situation, i just want to find out if we ever have children, will they have deformities?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. First off I need some information please.

Is there any history in either side of your family of genetic disorders or of birth defects?

And, sorry to have to ask, but what is your ethnicity--that is are you caucasion, black, asian, etc?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing that i know of, we both share the same grandad. He has sinus problems as do i, she doesn't have any problems at all. I have indigestion problems, but apart from that nothing that i know of, no diabetes, cancer etc. I am Pakistani (asian).

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK Aaqib

I really don't think you have anything to worry about here--certainly not about any possible birth defects in your children. Were you African, for example, there might be a chance of your children having Thalassemia or Sickle Cell Anemia, and, were you Jewish, there could be a small chance of Tay-Sachs disease.

Only when both parents are carriers of genetic diseases like those is there a one-in-four chance for a child of theirs to have the recessive gene disorder.

Here's an informative article for you and if you need any more information from me. please just ask.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/04/us/few-risks-seen-to-the-children-of-1st-cousins.html

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that, another concern I have, I don't know whether you can address this issue, but I broke up with my girlfriend about 3 months ago, every time I kissed her or performed oral on her, immediately after the area under my tongue would hurt and feel discomfort, this would disappear after 24 hours. Just want to know if there is something to worry about ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

No that isn't anything to worry about AAqib. Not an infection of any kind and most likely just being overactive with your tongue.

Let me know if you need any more information. Otherwise please remember to rate my service to you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much! Sorry, final question as I mentioned before I have sinus problems, my nose tends to get blocked up, tension headaches, also my ears feel discomfort whilst sleeping at night, I'm not worried about the headaches but the discomfort sleeping at night in my ears is unbearable sometimes, is there any sort of anti biotic that can prevent this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You need to have a doctor check out your sinuses but yes it sounds like you need a round of antibiotics--either Septra DS twice a day for ten days or Cipro 500 mg twice a day for ten days