Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Bloods have come back today showing my serum folate is high

Bloods have come back today showing my serum folate is high 20.7 it should be between 3-12
My b12 are normal
And all my other bloods are OK
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
High level of folate is not known to cause any disease or problems since high levels are excreted in the urine.
So I would not worry whatsoever with this high level.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor said he would need to repeat the test in a months time and maybe check my iron? As this was not done but all my other bloods were OK such as
Liver
Kidneys
Calcium
Bone
Pottasium etc
I read in the net that high folate can be linked with inflammatory bowel disease
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
But you do not have any other symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease.
We just cannot say based on a raised folate that you have any particular disease.
It is VERY unlikely, in your case, for a raised folate to signify anything serious as all your other tests are within normal limits.
So I would not worry whatsoever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mum and sister have chrohns
However my b12 was normal range
What causes high folate serium
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Usually this is due to high intake in the diet.
The most common cause of high serum folate is due to increased intake in diet.
This happens commonly in people who take a lot of green leafy vegetables.
Other causes include:
Blind loop syndrome
Vegetarian diet
Pernicious anemia
Vitamin B-12 deficiency (vitamin B-12 deficiency can cause increased plasma and decreased RBC folate levels, as it causes decreased cellular uptake)
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me before we proceed.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I've done that
Even if my b12 levels are OK could I still have anemia?
Because the iron blood test was not done
But wouldn't have this showed up in white/red blood count
What's blind loop syndrome?
So in all its nothing too worry about or be concerned by
I do take a daily multivitamin that wouldn't male ut raised would it??
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
The main thing is that your raised folate is nothing to be concerned about.
If your hemoglobin level is normal then you do not have anemia.
If it is low then you have anemia.
Anemia can have a large number of causes and low folate or low vitamin B12 is only two of the many causes. Blind loop syndrome occurs when digested food slows or stops moving through part of the intestines. This causes an overgrowth of bacteria in the intestines. It also leads to problems absorbing nutrients.
Blind loop syndrome is a complication that occurs:
1. After many operations, including subtotal gastrectomy (surgical removal of part of the stomach) and operations for extreme obesity
2. As a complication of inflammatory bowel disease
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi one more question. Please
I can only see hemoglobin concentrate 424 I's this iron?
I can't see anywhere on the blood profile that they have checked my iron levels what would this be called
I've read on the net that people can have raised folate levels like me and normal b12 and be anemic?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
First thing, please stop reading things on the internet as there is a lot of misinformation.
The levels that you have mentioned are not hemoglobin levels, could be iron levels.
Hemoglobin would be given in the complete blood counts and the abbreviation is Hbg or Hb for hemoglobin.
Please accept the additional services option for more questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I can't see hg or hgb on the report it's not there just hemoglobin concentrate levels
Full blood count 424
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Can you please mention all what is written on the full blood count report.
I would appreciate it if you accept the additional services offer before we proceed or post this as a new question directed to me on the following link if you have a subscription on here:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drshahzadmd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i don't have a subscription and can't afford keep paying money out I've already paid you once

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you please mention your full blood count report.
Mention all the things that are present in the full blood count report.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thankyou so much il provide you a bonus, thank you Dr

attached are my reports of all bloods

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n495vzmr5u3y8u/2015-06-26%2014-11.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otk9eb7bqd0h5ev/2015-06-26%2014-12.pdf?dl=0

two reports attached many thanks dr

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

I wanted to help you so that I can put your mind to ease by looking at all the blood reports myself. I have had a detailed look at each and every single blood parameter that you had tested.

Your blood tests are excellent with a normal hemoglobin level at over 15 which is outstanding. The only three things that are abnormal are:

1. Folate levels

2. Cholesterol

3. Cholesterol/HDL ratio

A high folate level is not something that I would worry about AT ALL as it does not point to anything serious. So I would not worry at all. High folate levels usually does not indicate anything serious in an otherwise healthy person. The cholesterol problem is only mild and I am sure that you can control it with diet and exercise which is what I would recommend. Your kidneys, liver are working perfectly fine demonstrated by your normal blood levels of urea, creatinine, GFR and liver enzymes. So, all in all, you are pretty healthy and your blood levels are good.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok one more thing why did he say that i need a blood iron test done in a month, then repeat the collate? he said no iron test was done is he correct or wrong>?

in kind wishes

thankyou

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
He is right.
No iron test was done.
I do not know why an iron test would be required in your case particularly with a normal hemoglobin level.
Repeating the folate after a month or two seems okay to me.
But again I would not worry and your blood tests are okay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thankyou il pay you a bonus when u get home
No is hemoglobin related to iron
It's really worrying me as I've had back pain for 8 weeks now and they just
Keep saying it's muscular - I keep having back spasam and mid back pain well When I site I get a constant dull ache in mid back/ sick of taking pain killers they say mri or x-ray not needed keep saying muscular it's really affecting my life now feel.so down I can't even go swimming as it hurts and aches after
I did have an MRI in Sept 2013 which showed minor cervical Spondylitis but u have a small curvature of my spine - just feel I don't have any quality of life with the constant back ache my GP said he will refer me too physio
But I'm doing all the back exercises sorry for going on :(
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hemoglobin is related to the following things:
1. Iron
2. Folate
3. Vitamin B12
If any of these is low the hemoglobin is also likely to be low.
If your hemoglobin is normal it is UNLIKELY for any of these to be low.
Your back pain certainly is not related to your high levels of folate.
Muscular pain in the back can take up to six to eight weeks to recover completely.
However, if you have had this pain for eight weeks already, I would have had MRI of your lower back done to be sure it is not related to a problem with the bones and discs of your lower spine.
Meanwhile I would also recommend massage therapy to see if that helps your back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I forgot to say
It's folic acid 200ug which is in the multivitamin I have that wouldn't cause high folate levels would it??
I will pay u a bonus now u have been very helpfull
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I am still looking forward to the bonus that you promised to give me sometime back.
Can you please give me the bonus first.
I promise I will answer this question after you give me the bonus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I've just paid you bounus
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
The folic acid that you are on is what caused your high levels in the blood.
Again nothing to worry about.
You may want to stop taking the folic acid, that's all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a folic acid it's just a normal multivitamin that's all it is a general one wouldn't cause high level of folate would it? Surly?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I know.
You do not need any multivitamin.
Just stop taking it.
Yes it can cause the high levels of folate on the blood test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah OK thanks doctor for all your support and help- even though it's only 200ug folic per tablet which is not much that would make my levels 20.1
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes even a low dose of folic acid can raise the blood levels if you have been taking it for a long period of time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that long really only a few weeks - thanks for all your help appreciate it
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Even a few weeks can cause it particularly if you also take a lot of leafy green vegetables that also have a lot of folate in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thing is I eat no green leafy vegetable