Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

What is an endplate infraction? I have scheuermann's disease

What is an endplate infraction?
I have scheuermann's disease - thoracic kyphosis, lumbar lordosis, lumbar back pain, thoracic mechanical back pain and muscle spams.
I had an MRI and it says "widespread endplate irregularity at multiple endplate infraction is associated with thoracic kyphosis but no neural compression"
What exactly is an endplate infraction?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

vertebral body bones which make up your spine are like cyliders stacked on top of each other sort of like a can of soup all stacked up on each other

the end plates of the verterbral bodies are the tops and bottom parts of the bone in that can of soup

end plate infractions are sort of like dents in the top and bottom of the can of soups which are all stacked on top of each other to make up your spine.

thoracic kyphosis is xxcess curvature in the upper back causes a hump or hunchback

this is due to bone weakness from scheuermann's disease

some patients who have scheuermann's disease have extensive spinal surgery and fixation to try to prevent worsening kyphosis and to help strengthen the spine and vertebral bodies.

let me know if you have questions.