Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a red lump on the top of my foot, it has just appeared

Customer Question

I have a red lump on the top of my foot, it has just appeared almost overnight. It is only sore to touch. I had a high fever overnight, which does seem to have settled. Could the red lump be an insect bite?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It certainly is possible that it could be an insect bite. There also are several types of infection of skin structures that may present as a red lump, such as an infected cyst.

Could you attach a picture of the red lump?
I had asked if you could attach a picture of the bump and have not heard back.

There are many possible causes of a red bump on the foot. It certainly could be an insect bite, but with a fever, there would be concern that the insect bite has become infected. It also could be due an infection of a skin structure, such as a cyst. There also can be an infection of the skin and the soft tissue under the skin, called a cellulitis, which can cause a fever, but is not usually described as a bump.

If there is an infection of the skin or skin structure that is causing a high fever, it would be important to be seen, as it would typically be better to treat with antibiotics.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.