Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a hot stabbing pain under my right arm pit, it comes

Customer Question

Hi, I have a hot stabbing pain under my right arm pit, it comes and goes, and does seem to be inflammed when I move it badly. I tried going for a run and stopped immediately as it started to hurt. I'm 42 generally healthy male. Th
There is no sign on my skin
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Certainly, inflammation is the most common cause of a hot stabbing pain under the arm pit. The inflammation can be musculoskeletal in origin or in the upper portion of the lung, but since the symptoms are worse when you move it in a certain way, that is more typical of musculoskeletal inflammation.

Have you tried taking an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen?
If so, what dose and frequency are you taking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't tried that, I had the odd flush of pain two days ago, but yesterday it increased in frequency

If the pain comes and goes, then the inflammation is likely mild, but an increase in severity or frequency of the pain suggests that the inflammation is getting worse.

Since you have not yet tried an anti-inflammatory medicine, it would be appropriate to do that first. The over the counter strength is a mild dose to start, but the dose can be increased, if necessary, to a maximal dose of 2400 mg per day of ibuprofen, in several divided doses, or 1500 mg per day of naproxen, in several divided doses.

This will likely get control of the pain, and if so, there is no need for further evaluation or treatment. However, if the pain is persistent, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.