Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I suffer from shy bladder and have tried various treatments

I suffer from shy bladder and have tried various treatments with no luck. I recently listened to a radio interview where Elavil was prescribed to the interviewee and it worked wonders.
I don't have any issues with depression etc. (maybe sometimes, but like everyone else it goes etc.).
To save me going to a doctor which I really don't want to do, I have ordered and received some online.
I'm now unsure of dosage and how to take it.
Can you please advise?
Thanks,
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

From which online pharmacy did you order? Did they ask for a prescription?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Obviously not as if I got a prescription I would of gone to a local pharmacy. The whole point of ordering online was to avoid that.

I prefer not to say where I ordered it from.

What I need to know is suitable dosage and when to take etc. and for how long before stopping it or upping it.

Thanks,

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

I wanted to know since medications ordered online may not be genuine and may be counterfeit and fake.

Shy bladder is one type of social phobia as you already know. The most studied and most effective treatment for this condition is behavior therapy. With regard to medications most doctors prescribe selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) for this condition. These are a type of medication that are also used in depression and in anxiety conditions. However I would not suggest you to use elavil since it has not been studied for the treatment of this condition and may worsen the symptoms and also has added side effects. Therefore if you don't want to go to a doctor at least consult a cognitive behavioral therapist who will teach you various techniques that you can use in such situations and also for prevention of onset of symptoms.

Take care.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know all of the above and my query was not addressed.

If it worked for one person, I thought there is no hard in giving it a go.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to give an answer which you don't like but I have your best interests in my mind while answering you. I will suggest treatment which has worked for thousands of people instead on one person. And especially tricyclic antidepressants such as elavil have numerous problematic side effects, and even for depression they are prescribed rarely and SSRI's are preferred. Instead of reducing anxiety elavil may be anxiogenic and worsen the symptoms. They have numerous anticholinergic effects such as dry mouth, constipation, blurred vision, delirium, and urinary retention.

Elavil also causes sedation and is given at bedtime. When indicated this medication is started at a dosage of 10 mg daily and increased as tolerated. Also this medication should not be abruptly discontinued and dosage needs to decreased to three fourths the maximal dosage for a month. Then it can be further reduced every 4 to 7 days.

Take care.