Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My story begun after i had to take certain hormones,

Customer Question

Hello. My story begun after i had to take certain hormones, and to be honest, gave in to my food cravings. I balooned to 280 pounds ( I am 33, 5 ft 10). Obviously, this was not healthy, and I started to diet. To starve, really. I was consuming only 250-350 calories a day ( half way I took a break and would eat 700-800 one day and fast completely  ( consuming only water) the next (this "technique" lasted about a month, I did not weight myself, and went back to 250 calories for 4 months) . All of this lasted about 8 months. During this time, I made sure to take supplement : potassium (gluconate, powder form), magnesium, calcium and multivitamins (whole food, organic type) . + I exercized 2-2.5 hours per day. Now I am 150 pounds and feel much better. BUT. I have to start eating normally again, of course. However, I am afraid to gain the weight back, even if i have changed my eating habits. Could you pls be so kind and suggest how I may restart eating and not gain the weight?  How many calories I should add, approximately, every day (or week) to my diet gradually, so i do not gain the weight. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

it sounds like you have had some severe swings in your weight

and it sounds like you could have some pretty severe weight cravings.

what hormones did you have to take before?

it would be best for you to get into a weight monitoring program like weight watchers and consult with a dietician regularly to have better control and stability of your weight.

starving yourself like that can be unproductive and also severely slow down your metabolism

you also need to have your thyroid hormone levels checked and also be checked for polycystic ovarian syndrome which can both affect yoru weight

I would start at 1000-1500 calories a day and work with a dietician or nutritionist and exercise therapist to continue to exercise

you need to focus on high fiber foods and lean proteins

there are medications which can help suppress your appetite.

but I would not use them at this point.

have you talked to your doctor about these weight issues?