Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Recently, the day after drinking alcohol e.g. a bottle of wine,

Recently, the day after drinking alcohol e.g. a bottle of wine, I have been feeling breathless. What could this mean?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Breathlessness has nothing to do with alcohol or its intake. If you are having trouble breathing while you are sitting that is without exertion then you should have this checked out.
Sometimes, reflux can be aggravated due to alcohol intake and this can cause acid reflux and throat inflammation, which can produce difficulty breathing and breathlessness.
Please do have this evaluated especially if there is chest pain and/or if you have any previously diagnosed medical conditions like heart disease, diabetes etc.
Let me know if you have any more concerns about this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have recently had an episode of chest pain during exercise. My GP sent me for an exercise ECG but the results were normal. So what would be the link between chest pain and breathlessness?

What is acid reflux in layman's terms?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Acid reflux is the layman term for Gastroesopheal Reflux Disease (GERD). It means when the acid in the stomach comes up the wrong way in to the throat due to incompetent lower esophageal sphincter (Mechanism that stops the acid from trickling up the food pipe). So, that is one possibility of the chest pain and the breathlessness.
I would also suggest that you get a chest x ray done for this. And if the ECG and chest x ray are both normal then you should visit a Gastroentrologist.
Best wishes.