Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My left foot and ankle has become steadily more swollen and

My left foot and ankle has become steadily more swollen and stiff over the past couple of weeks. I have been putting on weight although trying to diet and am feeling quite tired during the day, I recently fractured my right hand , which is now vey arthritic and swollen and stiff, and I am wearing a compression glove and having physio and hot wax hand baths weekly. I have controlled high BP , Crohns and Scleritis and some minor problems with an on/off water infection. I swim regularly. The swelling was still there this morning and felt tight, but not a bad as last night.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Is it painful and warm to touch?
Have you been seen for this as yet?
Can you please enumerate all the medications that you are on.
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not painful or warm. I have not seen my doctor for this as I didnt really notice it a lot or just ignored it as I am in pain with my hand and just want to get that sorted out , a bone scan.has been arranged .

My Chrohns, Glaucoma and Scleritis are managed daily by myself with regular check ups every 3 months at the hospital, If having a flair up, I take Ibrufen

Amlodopine 5 mg Valsarten 40mg daily

Imodium when required

Brufen 200mg when required.

Maxidex and Latanaprost Eye drops daily

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Have you been walking, running, standing a lot prior to when this happened?
Is the other foot also swollen any?
Please let me now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I dont walk far as I have some back and nerve problems in my legs from a second spine op to release a trapped nerve) that was not successful, so get sudden cramps if I stand still for any length of time. but I have had this problem since 2005 and it has not got worse. So exercise is confined to swimming three times a week, Other foot is fine. only other swelling is of the right hand

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Seems like you are having what we call as oedema in your foot and ankle.
It could also be a problem with your joint being swollen or a fluid sac around the joint called a bursa that could be swollen.
I would try the following things:
- Rest --> give it as much rest as possible.
- Compression --> You can apply a crepe bandage on it to see if that helps with swelling.
- Elevation --> Keep your foot elevated as much as you possibly can.
Try these things for a week or so to see if it improves the swelling.
If these measures do not help, I would recommend that you be seen for this.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hope you are right as i have been resting it, My hand clinic said that wearingtubigrip on my hand was making the swelling worse, which is why I am wearing a compression glove. So we shall see , I was just worried it may have been re heart or kidney problems, as this seems to have all started around the time I hurt my hand. anyway thankyou

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome
Had it been a heart or kidney or a liver problem it would have usually also caused swelling on the other foot.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below as that is the only way I am credited here for helping you out.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine