Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been suffering with Restless Leg Syndrome years.

Customer Question

I have been suffering with Restless Leg Syndrome for 5 years. My GP prescribed "Requip" which I take at night and helps me to sleep (sometimes!) The condition is getting worse.
I know there is no specific cure . I have attended Neurologist in Limerick and the Beacon in Dublin without the slightest improvement. I am attempting the "Buteyko" breathing exercise but haven't spent enough time at it to know if it will give me some relief .
Any suggestion/recommendations would be very welcome.
Are you aware of a Neurologist in Galway who has some experience with RLS. ?
TERRY CLANCY
Castletroy
Limerick
(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
What dose of Requip are you taking?
Have previously you been tried on any other medicines for the RLS?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I take 1mg of requip. I was on MIRAPEXIN but it dident suit me as I was halluncinating .

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several possibilities to consider in this situation.

Treatment of RLS involves both medicine and lifestyle interventions.

There are several medicines that can be used for RLS, although the Mirapexin and Requip are the two most commonly used. These are similar drugs, in that they affect the dopamine receptors, but they are slightly different in which dopamine receptors are affected. For the Requip, if the 1 mg dose is not effective, then the dose can be increased, up to 4 mg nightly.
.
There are some other medicines that also work via dopamine, but the usual next medicine to consider would be a combination of levodopa and carbidopa. The levodopa is a precursor that increases the amount of dopamine, and the carbidopa improves the amount of levodopa that gets to the brain. The levodopa can be added to the Requip, and will work better than either drug alone.

There are also some medicines that work by a mechanism separate from the dopamine system. Certain anticonvulsants also can help calm the firing of the nerves involved in RLS, such as gabapentin and pregabalin. Clonidine, a medicine that suppresses the autonomic nervous system, also may help. Medicines for pain or anxiety also can be used, but since these can develop tolerance over time, doctors will usually try to limit the use of these medicines.

There are several lifestyle interventions that can be tried in addition to the breathing exercises. Soaking in hot or cold water may help. There also is increasing use of devices to provide vibratory stimulation to the feet and legs, such as the Relaxis device.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can you recommend a Neurologist in Ireland with some expertise in RLS

I can find two Neurologists in Galway that are rated highly, but it is impossible to know the extent of expertise in RLS. RLS is so common that any Neurologist should have good expertise in the condition, but whether these Neurologists have more than the standard amount of expertise of a Neurologist cannot be determined.

The two Neurologists that I can find in Galway are -
Dr. Andreas Jahnke, phone number of 91 785 000
Dr. Habib Rahman, phone number of 91 767 666