Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have had diarraha every3/4 days weeks. It lasts

Customer Question

I have had diarraha every3/4 days for three weeks. It lasts for about 2 hours a time. My dr. Said today to take laxatives or prune juice for 2 weeks has she thought it could be a blockage. And this may move it. I had a bowel operation 14 years ago and had to have it done again a year later, with a blockage from scar tissue. Consequently I am terrified.i am thinking about going private so I can get it sorted now rather than in 2/3 weeks time. It seems a long time to take laxatives. Advice please. Sandra Galloway.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
This can be due to recurrent adhesions due to the bowel surgery you had some years back and then adhesiolysis a year later, which means that you are prone to adhesion and scar tissue formation. Scar tissue is always recurrent and follows the law of diminishing returns which means it has a propensity to increase in intensity if not removed completely with every subsequent surgery.
I would suggest that you follow this up with a Colorectal surgeon or a gastroenterologist as soon as possible. A more thorough investigation is warranted.
I would suggest stool routine examination and a colonoscopy to start with, then proceed to a gastrograffin enema and a CT scan with contrast of the abdomen and the pelvis.
Let me know if you have any more queries.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. But I forgot to ask when I had the ops before, I had no movement whatsoever, not like now. I didn't eat only drank, but it always came back. So far I am okay with that this time, or will it happen. Very scared .
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
No need to be scared. This does not sound like anything serious. Adhesions can present with constipation (severe presentation) and diarrhea (mild to moderate presentation). And at the moment, we are just speculating. At worse, even if this is adhesions / scar tissue, nowadays laparoscopic (minimally invasive procedure with scope) is enough to rectify the situation. Plus, dietary changes can also improve a lot of adhesions (mild) which do not require any intervention at all. First of all, we need to make sure this isn't something else and that can only be done by investigating it thoroughly.
Regards.