Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I had a brain operation after an accident in September 2011,

Customer Question

I had a brain operation after an accident in September 2011, I went in to a drugged coma for about four days in Frenchay hospital then I was in intensive care at frenchay for about a month, when I was sent to taunton hospital until I was discharged on 29th December 2011. I was discharged and my daily medication was 20 Mg of citalopram and 100Mg of Quetiapine to help my brain recover, fair enough. I also held a private pilot licence for helicopters. My medical certificate people tell me after three years that taking the drug Quetiapine is not allowed for a pilot, so I have my pilot licence removed. Is there an alternative drug rather than Quetiapine which allows me to renew my pilots licence?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
What are you taking it for?
It is an atypical antipsychotic used for depression and sleep and schizophrenia mainly
can you go without it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I.m taking it because I was prescribed it, the citalopram isn.t a problem, the quetiapine apparently is why I have had my pilots licence medical revoked. my prescription is 100mg per day, i've reduced that to 75mg per day, then after about 3 months I reduced that to 50 mg per day, after about two months guys that worked with me told me that I was getting a bit strange, so I went back up to 75 mg per day and they told me I'd improved. I wanted to try and cut it again after about a year, so asked my doctor who asked me to let my wife and work guys know what I wanted to do before I did it, so I did and it worked good. but cutting it down won't help me get my pilots licence back, Quetiapine isn't allowed, do you know anything else I can take which allows me to fly

what dose of citalopram do you take?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Citalopram dosage is 20mg per day

I think if you increased the dose to 40 and went off seroquel that would work
the problem is that there really isn't an alternative for seroquel that will allow flying. So you have to find a way to get on without it
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.