Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a clean colonoscopy sept 2010, then red blood mixed in

I had a clean colonoscopy sept 2010, then red blood mixed in stools march 2014 which I didn't get seen to.
Now July 2015 I am worried that I ignored something serious. Should I get it checked out now.
I have internal hemorrhoids and a little bit of pain on the left side (that might be the hemorrhoids)
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It is generally advisable to get checked whenever there is blood in the stool. But since you have had a relatively recent colonoscopy, it would be much less likely that blood in the stool is from colon cancer or polyps. The reason that colonoscopy is only recommended at most every 10 years as a screen for colon cancer is that the progression is typically slow, and checking every 10 years is adequate.

However, it still is appropriate to be concerned about a source of blood in the stool, as there are some other conditions that can arise more quickly, such as inflammation in the rectum or colon. Since it has not recurred in over a year, it is also unlikely to be due to other serious conditions that can arise quickly. Since you have a history of hemorrhoids, it is very likely that this was from the hemorrhoids.

Since you did not get checked last year and the blood has not recurred, there is no need to be checked at this point. But if there is recurrence of blood in the stool, it is appropriate to be seen.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.