Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

When I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 8-9 years ago I was

when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 8-9 years ago I was 21 stone but through totally changing my eating habits and walking I lost 5.5 stones and have maintained it since. I am 69 but over the last couple of months when walking I have begun trailing my feet as opposed to lifting them, other people have also mentioned it to me. Sometimes after a longish walk I feel my knees are not straightening enough for my feet to clear the ground as they move forward. My mother and 2 of my family also has a tendency to walk with stooped shoulders which I am beginning to do. Apart from Diabetes (my last count was 5.5) I had hardly been to my GP then nor since and apart from the above I feel great but concerned that if I have to limit my walking my weight may rise again.
As walking is vitally important to maintaining my weight loss and exercise I wonder what , if anything I can do
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Any back troubles?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

None

We need to figure out why you are dragging your feet.Any Parkinson's in the family?Any tremor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No to both

What meds do you take? How well controlled is your diabetes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I only take a soluble asprin in morning and 1 Omega 3 then for a urine infection several years ago I was given Trimophim 1 each evening and there has been no recurrence of infection. My health is generally very good at first I thought it was just growing old but then I thought that should happen gradually this has been over a few months

How is your diabetes?Do you have neuropathy or retinopathy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My diabetes is wall controlled at last 6 monthly check my blood was 5.5 the nurse said that was "off the diabetes scale"

I get annual retinophy check but there was a small deterioration first time but none since thats 8-9 years

I really think we need more tests. A brain MRI to rule out a variety of problems. Also an EMG of your legs to rule out neuropathy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you suggesting I should consult my GP. I did not think this was something to 'bother' my GP with, as I said earlier I have probably not had more than 10-12 GP visits in 69 years.

Yes I do. Definitely. This could be something that needs treatmentAlso ask about b12 deficiency whjch is common in diabetes
I appreciate the good rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)