Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had a psychosis episode 2 years ago due to an incident that

Customer Question

I had a psychosis episode 2 years ago due to an incident that happened a couple of months previous that I was so ashamed of I could not even tell my family or friends. I believe the episode happened because of the stress of keeping this secret. However, that was 2 years ago and all though I haven't had an episode since I can't seem to move in and am ashamed.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Are you asking how to get over your shame about the episode? Or is it about the secret?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a secret anymore. I need help getting over the shame yes. I got a drink driving ban and I was ashamed, devastated and disgusted with myself. I kept it secret and now I need help getting back to normal. I have trouble talking to people about it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Joanne. Have you talked to your therapist about it? And what about it makes you feel shame?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have finished the NHS therapy course. I feel shame for the whole thing. I was an operations manager working in London, middle and Far East and now I hardly leave the house
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live alone and have support from parents now but I don't know how to move on
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK but during the therapy did you share your shame with the therapist? And how about with a close friend?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did share with therapist yes but with all due respect I felt she was relatively newly qualified and not sure how to deal with it. Although we covered the shame she mainly focussed on dealing with the now and not the past. I cut all ties with friends 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

I understand. This is a matter of forgiving yourself and moving on which is not easy to do. For one thing you should reconnect with your friends since by yourself the guilt and shame only festers. Here's a link that should help for now if you'll follow the instructions

http://www.alifeonyourterms.com/overcoming-deep-regret-shame-for-past-mistakes/

If you need to continue after this, please just let me know

Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have tried many links but will look at this one. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but please remember to rate my service to you Joanne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked at the website,it's not helped
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Did you actually sit down and write down things about those steps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I died Al the the recommend things
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--did you return to the pages you'd written more than once?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes of course I did

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Just asking.

So none of that eased the shame at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no none of it. What do I do?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Well, at this point you need a new therapist since it doesn't seem that trying to deal with this on your own is going to be enough Joanne

You need an empathic professional with whom you can share all this and who will interact with you over several sessions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Isn't that what your for?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Well we really can't do therapy this way. And an over the internet type of therapy is never as effective as face-to-face one-on-one therapy.

Let me ask you this--why can't you forgive yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is a very good question.

Because I can't forgive myself

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Can't, or won't?

Do you think no one else could forgive you either?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My family have been supportive

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So if others can forgive you why are you different from them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know. I have brothers and sisters in the Police yet I can't forgive what I did, I ruined me

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Ruined you how exactly?