Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I haven't had intercourse since my husband died 10 years

I haven't had sexual intercourse since my husband died 10 years ago and had intercourse for the first time yesterday. It was very painful and cause me to bleed. It did stop but am worried in case I have done any damage or is this quite normal after such a long time?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It is very common to have pain/discomfort and some bleeding after intercourse in a post-menopausal woman that has not had sex for 10 years. After menopause, the vagina will thin and can become easier to injury and with no intercourse for 10 years, it would tend to tighten, so that penetration with intercourse will forcibly stretch the vagina. It is possible that there could be some tears as the cause of the bleeding, but these are usually minor and will heal without any specific intervention.

However, if the bleeding is more severe or persistent, then it would be appropriate to be seen, as there may be a tear that requires a minor repair.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.