Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

After having unprotected sex 6 days ago (1st time in

Customer Question

After having unprotected sex 6 days ago (1st time for me in 6 months, and 1st time for woman in 13 months) This was after a night of very heavy drinking which i don't normally do (drinking heavy) and since then I have felt unwell. Nausea, loss of appetite, aches, can't sleep, and I'm beside my self with fear! it seems that so many symptoms are directly linked with anxiety & stress! And the more I research, the more I worry myself. I know tests at this time is nowhere near conclusive, and it is a waiting game for the results. But am I being my own worst enemy for the research, and it right that so many of these symptoms are directly connected with worry, stress, anxiety & dread... All of I'm severely suffering from
Thankyou for reading!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I fully understand your concern here.

Any other symptoms like fever, rash, swollen lymph nodes, burning on urination, penile discharge?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No high fever, rash, burning on urination and no discharge. My neck feels tight but that's all the way around (my neck is cracking when I rotate it- normal) but no swelling! It seems when I look at any symptom that is in any way connected to HIV AND stress/anxiety, I seem to look for it and even if it's not there, I think it is!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand James. How soon after the encounter did you get the symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'd say end of day 4, as it was the day after the encounter my stress & anxiety went through the roof, it was then my wife (been broke up 6 months) said she wants to give it another go! So the fear and dread came over me the very next day and carried on building!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK James. We can continue after this if you'd like but most often HIV infection produces absolutely no symptoms at all for months to years or, if it does, it's a flu-like syndrome with a low grade fever, sore throat, maybe a rash and some swollen nodes in about four to six weeks after catching the virus. All your symptoms do match anxiety much more than HIV. That said, with any episode of unprotected sex, there is the risk of STD like HIV, hepatitis, and herpes and you're entirely correct that you need to be screened for those in about three months since any sooner than that a negative test can be a false negative.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou doctor!! I know there's a risk of "other" infections also, and it's why I'm so confused with some of the information I'm reading. I'm getting very light tingles in my arms and legs, this is put down to either HIV attacking my nerve system, or muscle tension caused by stress/anxiety! It's why I'm very worried at this time! But there's nothing else in the way of visible infection on my penis tip, groin or anus etc. so I'm just trying to cut down the elements. But I don't think my fear/anxiety levels have ever been is high
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Please stay away from Dr Google James--that can scare the bejesus out of you. It's simply way to early for you to be getting any HIV symptoms and you really don't have the right symptoms anyway. I think you don't have any STD and the chances of getting any of them with a one-time episode are very, very low.

Try not to worry but do get the screenings in three months.

If you don't have any more need for any more information, let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BLESSINGS TO YOU DOC... Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure James