Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have cellulitis. It appeared 10 days after an operation.

I have cellulitis. It appeared 10 days after an operation. My leg swelled up on day 10 which was the day the anti biotics finished. I'm now in hospital having antibiotics intravenously.
Now this may be a coincidence but on the same morning of day 10 I injected myself with some HGH. Would it be possible that I could have caused the bacterial infection with the injection? It was the first time I'd ever done it. But the leg then swelled up that very same day. Surely couldn't have been that quick? I'm feeling very paranoid and upset this could have been my fault.
Is it more likely this is an unfortunate follow on from my operation (I had a nerve graft and the cellulitis is around one of my leg wounds)
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
The HGH injection, I believe, has nothing to do with your worsening swelling.
I think that it is your infection that is not responding to the antibiotics which is what caused the swelling to increase.
The cellulitis that you have experienced is most likely as a result of an infection that happened after the surgery that you had.
Hopefully with intravenous antibiotics you will be cured.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the stars below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for answer. I just want to clarify one thing. There was no post op swelling at all until day 10 after the operation. That was the day the post op antibiotic course finished and also happened to be the day I took the HGH injection.
I think you've answered my q but I just want to be sure. If the HGH I injected was contaminated (hypothetically) could it cause cellulitis on the very same day? I think the answer is probably no, and that the cellulitis was caused by another bacterial post op infection.
But I just want to rule the HGH out. In theory, could a self intra muscular injection cause cellulitis within 8 hours? I would guess no, but want to rule it out. Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
If the HGH I injected was contaminated (hypothetically) could it cause cellulitis on the very same day?
No that is not possible.
Infection cannot happen this quickly so that answer is definitely a big NO as you guessed correctly.
But I just want to rule the HGH out. In theory, could a self intra muscular injection cause cellulitis within 8 hours?
No it would take much more time.
Let me know if you have more questions
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the stars.