Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My husband has a sharp pain in the back around the waist line, he finds it really painful,

my husband has a sharp pain in the back around the waist line, he finds it really painful, and has a job getting out of a chair or bed, but once he's moving he's ok, well i thought it might be musclular, but isn't that a dull ache, no can't really give you any more details
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

What is your husband's age? Since when does he have the pain? Does he have the pain in the legs also? Is there any weakness in the legs? Does the pain wake him up from sleep? Are there any other symptoms such as fever, swelling, or weight loss?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my husband is 83, has had the pain since last Tuesday , but only when he moves out of a chair or bed, as too take it slow

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Was there any trauma or weight lifing or any unusual activiy that caused the pain? Or did it occur spontaneously? Does he have numbness or any abnormal sensations in the leg?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no nothing unusual, no numbness, just sharp pain in the back

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Back pain may be due to a specific structural cause in the back or it can be non specific low back pain. By your description this looks like acute non specific low back pain, however there are some risk factors that this may due to a specific structural abnormality in the back that is causing the pain. The risk factors are that the pain is worse at rest and also an age more than 70 years. It is due to these risk factors that he needs be seen by a general practioner so that an examination of the back may be done to diagnose or rule out a structural cause for the pain.

However most probably this is a non specific back pain which is very common. If this is the case, that is back pain without leg pain, then prognosis is good and spontaneous recovery from pain is in the range of 80% to 90%. Prolonged inactivity will prolong the recovery. Since there is rarely a recognizable structural cause in this case, treatment regimens tend to be nonspecific. Bed rest is not helpful in this case and has been shown to delay recovery, however bed rest may be recommended for the first few days (maximum 2 days) for patients with severe pain with movement. Recommended medications include paracetamol or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen.

If after the examination by the doctor a structural cause (such as lumbar disk disease) is found for the pain, then treating the causative factor will help relieve the pain. Consulting a physical therapist will be beneficial in this case.

Take care.
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.