Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My mother died of Pick's disease and now my eldest sister

Hello, My mother died of Pick's disease and now my eldest sister is showing signs of it which means it's the hereditary type. I'm a 42 yr old male, since last August I've had a weak feeling in my arms and legs but they are not weak, I've had funny/weird sensations in my head recently and I believe it's worse sometimes when I lean over. I also get pins and needles sensation in my back on the left hand side centre ish and this sometimes happens when I get the weird head feelings. I do have a nasal area problem also which I feel I produce a lot of phlegm and can feel a pulsating feeling directly behind my nose which If I stop to think about it I can feel the pulse at the top of my teeth/roof of mouth. I did get kicked by a horse years ago in the nose but could a nasal/sinusitis/nasal polyps cause strange head feelings? I don't believe it's anxiety because it comes when I don't think about it. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is possible that chronic nasal inflammation and polyps can cause these strange head feelings. And the fact that the symptoms are worse when you lean over is also consistent symptoms from inflammation in the nose or sinuses.

Chronic inflammation of the nose and sinuses and polyps typically would not cause any symptoms in the arms, but it certainly could cause these head symptoms.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What could the connection with my back pins and needles be then? I did have a slight accident about 6 months ago when I fell through an old shed floorboard and I believed I cracked a few ribs, I did go to my local hospital a week later but I didn't get x-rayed. Is it possible for a nerve damage there to produce a weird head feelings? Because it's close to the spine?

Spine problems can cause symtoms in the back of the head, because the nerves to the back half of the scalp arise in the upper cervical spine.