Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had a health check with Blue Crest Health Screening two weeks

Customer Question

I had a health check with Blue Crest Health Screening two weeks ago . The results have just come back. I had a full blood count and everything was normal. The thyroid check said that the thyroid stimulating hormone was outside the standard range. The overall ECG status showed no insignificant abnormalities. It seems that the only problem is the lactate dehyrogenase test which is out of the normal range It is 255. Obviously I am very concerned. Please can you tell me if I need to contact my G P for further tests?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, TSH out of range means you may have hypothyroidism or thyroid hormone deficiency. LDH is an enzyme found in the muscles and red blood cells as well. The level is not that high but still elevated. This can be commonly from physical exertion or dehydration. Even thyroid problem can cause this. More serious causes like heart problem would have shown up in EKG you had. So not that concerning. But do discuss with your GP as well. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cancer tests was mentioned when I looked online to see what it all meant

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
No LDH that level does not suggest leukemia or any other malignancy.Isolated LDH elevation is not consistent with anything serious. Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What treatment would you recommend for the thyroid problem

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
First that should be repeated to confirm the result.If you do have hypothyroidism, then levothyroxine should be started. Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My TSH is 6.61 and the standard range is 0.27 - 4.2

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
That is high meaning hypothyroidism.This is a mild case though.SO low dose levothyroxine 25 mcg daily will be fine. Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it only available on prescription?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Yes correct