Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have a recurrent tonsillitis that is not responding to one

I have a recurrent tonsillitis that is not responding to one course of erythromycin and two courses of penicillin v. I've tested negative for EBV and my FBC is normal. Any idea what could be causing it?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

you could have acid reflux up of stomach acid during the day or night irritating your tonsils and throat

you could have bad sinus allergies and post nasal drip which can drip down the back of your throat and irritate your tonsils as well

do you have a history of acid reflux or sinus infection or allergy symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no acid reflux or allergies. I've had a sinus infection once before a couple of years ago by nothing recently
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
can you tell me more about your tonsilitis

what are the symptoms you are getting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm getting red swollen tonsils with white puss blisters. My throat is sore for a day or two when the blisters first appear. I have general fatigue which improves with the antibiotics. I have no other symptoms
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you most likely are having repeated viral tonsilitis infection which can cause white pus and blisters.

many viruses can cause tonsilitis, more than just EBV

antibiotics can help slightly even for viral tonsilitis since antibiotics can have anti-inflammatory properties.

how often do you get these episodes?

have you tried to gargle with salt water frequently when you get these tonsilitis episodes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've been getting it since the end of April with between 7-10 clear days between courses of antibiotics. I haven't tried salt water but I will.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

try warm salt water gargles daily 2-3 times a day after meals

salt water is very good for being able to kill viruses and bacteria in the throat

you might need to also try a stomach acid blocker like zantac or omeprazole which could help block silent acid reflux.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com