Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had a fall in Feb last year. I landed on my hip. I thought

Customer Question

I had a fall in Feb last year. I landed on my hip. I thought the pain would go away but it just got worse until Jan of this year it was so bad I couldn't walk. I'm now in a wheelchair the pain is in my hip at he back round my buttock in my groin and where the hip goes into the leg. I'd I press on that area I get shoting pains in my leg and foot.I also have a funny heat feeling in same leg at the front. What does this sound Luke and y has it stopped me walking. I have suffered minor back ache for many years but the back pain is sporadic not constant the hip.pain is 24/7
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Sorry to hear about this but have you had x-rays of your pelvis, back and hips?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. As I'm scared of hospitals so I avoided it. Why do you ask

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I saw a specalist he said an xray won't show what he needs to see

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Well I asked just to see if you might have sustained a fracture of your hip or pelvis Claire

One other question--have you had any physical therapy for this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes three months and it made it worse didn't help at all.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK We can continue after this if you'd like Claire

It sounds like you have a disk problem in the lower back--a herniated disk that is compressing a nerve root.

But you may also have a sacroiliac joint problem compressing your sciatic nerver and you may also have hip bursitis.

It will take the MRI to determine exactly what the problem is and you can get back to me with those results, but you may need surgery for the problem

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Continue after what? ? The specalist said damage to cartalidge in my hip. Why am in in need of a wheelchair now I can't walk

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

I just meant we could continue if you needed more information.

Are you not able to walk because of the pain or is it that your hip won't move?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pain in ground and just below

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Then it sounds like the major problem is your hip Claire but can I ask what information exactly you need about that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What I need is do u think a fall can cause this problem considering the pain came on over a 6 months period post accident

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

The fall could have caused a cartilage injury that has progressed to the point where your hip is a major problem and you may need a hip replacement depending on the results of the MRI.

That said, from the symptoms you've given me I think there is also a problem with a disk in your lumbar spine so it would take both a hip and a lumbar spine MRI to determine everything that's going on here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I agree. The other issue is there are times I'm completely free from back pain and still can't walk due to the groin pain..

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Even without much in the way of back pain one can still have a bothersome herniated disk Claire.

Let me know what the MRI shows and please remember to rate my service to you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I have left excellent feedback. Can I ask finally is there any other way other 5hat a mri to diagnose me as the specalist said if I really can't go through with the scan there are other ways. I'm curious as to what they may be

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
There's also a ct scan and an ultrasound.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank u

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Claire