Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I broke my fifth metatarsal bone in foot 4wks tomorow ive

Hi i broke my fifth metatarsal bone in foot 4wks tomorow ive been in a cast for 3 and half weeks but im still getting pain and the last few days ive started getting shooting pains up my foot and also up my calf pain killers dont help its quite severe when it happens as they last for about 5mins even if im resting it this is happening several times a day is this normal thanks Clare
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Bone fractures are inherently painful but the pain should not last for this long. Since, you have been in a cast for 3 weeks and the pain does not seem to be getting better, it is possible that either the cast is not fully immobilizing or splinting the broken bone or the cast is tight around an area which is causing compression and pain. I would suggest that you have your cast opened and have a physician look at the skin of the foot and the foot, if there is any skin damage or swelling then the cast should be re done and this time I would suggest that an extra layer of cotton padding be added to augment the comfort.
You should also start on stronger pain killers possibly Advil 400 mg thrice a day or something stronger like Vicodin.
Keep the foot elevated most part of the day and restrict your activity to only the most necessary.
Let me know if you have any concerns about this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for help and advice