Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Can hepatitis c be cured and what are the chances?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can continue with this after I ask just one question please

What exactly do you mean by cured and I'm not sure what you meant by the chances?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what i mean is can the virus be eradicated from the body and what percentage of sufferers reach this result.I read that with new drugs 75 -80 per cent can be wiped free from the virus

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK.

grazoprevir/elbasvir is a combination medication in the pipeline for FDA approval and in trial it has a 95% effectiveness for actually curing hep C

That said, the medications that we do have now can reduce the hep C viral load to nondetectable in about 80% of patients, but that wouldn't be considered an actual cure