Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

PHYSICIAN OR DOCTOR NATASHA I am a male aged

Customer Question

FOR FAMILY PHYSICIAN OR DOCTOR NATASHA Hi I am a male aged 35 who is fit. I have always had small bumps around my nipples I think they are called Montgomery glands. For the first time I squeezed them and a millimetre of clear fluid came out. This is the
same on both nipples and may always have been like this but I never squeezed them before. Is this something to worry about or normal. I had a full blood health check 6 weeks ago that was perfect. I do suffer badly from health anxiety and this is scaring me.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Would you like me to help you out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping for another opinion is it possible for a different doctor to answer this please
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Sure, I will opt out to allow other doctors to answer it if you wish.
Dr. Natasha and Family physician are both offline.
Would you like me to opt out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Neither of the doctors you requested are online now but I'll be happy to comment
There really is nothing for you to worry about with this. These are indeed Montgomery glands and the fluid inside them, when expressed like you did, is clear.
This isn't cancer if that were your concern
Let me know if you need more information please
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My concern is maybe once a week I have seen a little millimetre drop come out without me squeezing . I am constantly checking and feeling my nipples which may be causing this. I have spoken to other doctors on just answer and they have told me its normal. I can't feel and lumps under the skin or nipple and don't have Breast tissue increase or lack of shaving or erection problems. I suffer from health anxiety and I'm scared
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my second question
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand but still there's no reason for concern here. Even if the clear liquid comes out on it's own it doesn't mean anything serious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is clear I was worried of cancer or something hormonal and was concerned that this shouldn't happen for a male but I have no other symptoms. So should I relax and stop panicking
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Neither cancer nor a hormonal problem I assure you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could my constant checking and touching maybe be adding to this
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Indeed it could
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Including yourself I have now asked 5 doctors on just answer who have all said the same thing. Do you think it's time to forget about this stop worrying and move on. Surely 5 doctors saying the same thing means it is normal ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Again this is nothing you should worry about and yes it is time to move on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in just answer when you have a slight concern would you tell the person to go to there gp I guess I'm asking that you wouldn't tell the patient it was fine unless you truly believed that
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I would never tell you anything other than my true medical opinion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks have a good day you have eased my concerns
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Entirely my pleasure and please call on me anytime
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry me again. I guess I'm worried that these glands start secreting more often on there own. But are you saying as long as the fluid is clear its nothing serious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi did you get my last question
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
These are nothing serious even if they start secreting more fluid. If they're bothersome to you they can either be unroofed or frozen by a dermatologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read online that nipple discharge can be a sign of make breast cancer why do you think this isn't in my case
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
This isn't nipple discharge--Montgomery glands are entirely different
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just about to say is the nipple the middle part. I get you now that was what I was worried about and now realise the nipple is different to Montgomery glands. Would you believe I have a masters degree in civil engineering and I can think something as silly as that
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Don't put yourself down--even I have that problem sometimes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure nipple discharge with male breast cancer is the nipple in the middle and not the Montgomery glands
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just from the nipple--not from Montgomery glands
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A doctor told me it could be either but I didn't think that was correct
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Didn't quite understand that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked a doctor was nipple discharge and Montgomery gland different and he said they where pretty much the same thing which i didn't think was right when breast cancer is involved
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
He was wrong--they aren't the same and you're fine--you don't have breast cancer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Out of all the doctors you seem to reassure me the best many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Again--entirely my pleasure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would anything hormonal be out of the nipples and not the Montgomery glands as well
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No exactly sure what you meant by that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If discharge was caused by hormonal changes like lack of testosterone would it be nipple discharge and not Montgomery gland
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It would be nipple discharge and not Montgomery gland discharge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An online doctor told me to get prolactin levels checked and biopsies. Surely that isn't needed with no other symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I agree--no need for that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks he then retracted when I gave him all the symptoms and said I have nothing to worry about. I'm heading on a hot beach holiday tomorrow with my wife and kids and really want to enjoy myself without worrying about this
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Have a great time with your family and let all this go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When nipple discharge is described as bloody or opaque does opaque mean a cloudy colour and not totally clear
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--opaque means you can't see through it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had read any cancer discharge would be bloody or opaque would you agree
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes but you really need to stop your research and reading on this--that only fuels anxiety