Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have a persistent cough with phlegm weeks. Have burning

I have a persistent cough with phlegm for 3 weeks. Have burning stabbing pain upper right back for 3 weeks too. It is constant Blood test didn't show any infections. What could it be. I'm 32. I'm really worried I've got cancer or something. Phlegm test was normal too. I don't have any other symptoms. I did have tb 2 years ago but had a blood and phlegm test last week which didn't show anything
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Do you have any symptoms like blood in phlegm, weight loss, loss of appetite, change in voice etc? What is color or phlegm? Any X ray done so far? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get green phlegm. Sometimes my voice changes but when I cough it's back to normal. No X-rays so far. No weight loss. Haven't lost appetite
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
??
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Green phlegm indicates a bacterial infection in the lung. It has nothing to do with cancer. The pain which you get is not a feature of cancer. It is either due to a pulled muscle secondary to coughing or it is due to a pinched nerve in spine. I reassure you that cancer is not the cause of your cough as you don't have other symptoms that usually accompany cancer. You should get X rays and proceed accordingly. You will be in need of antibiotics. Till you get all this done, over the counter available Tab Aleve twice daily can help you with pain you get while coughing. Just relax and please don't get stressed, I reassure you again. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But my bloods did not show any infections. So how can it be bacterial infection?? I can't help but worry.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
It still can be infection even if the phlegm test was negative. With green phlegm, we can think of fungal lung infection so you can ask your doctor to check that but cancer for sure is not your cause. If you had a course of antibiotics before the phlegm test, that can be another reason for negative test. Moreover I would like to mention that these symptoms are not due to TB as well due to your negative TB tests. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry one more thing. My blood test also showed no infections. And I've not had any antibiotics. Also this stabbing pain is always there it's constant. That's why I'm worried. I've never had this pain before when I used to cough. When I had tb I had a cough for months and I didn't have this pain on my upper back.
Also most of the time my cough is dry. And once a day I get green phlegm. Does this make a difference
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
shella thank you for your input. I will try to address all your concerns. In lung infections, blood tests are mostly normal and that is why we need X rays to diagnose them. Many a times white cell count (which is indicative of infection ) is normal in such cases and this is not uncommon. The stabbing pain is due to pinched nerve. It can be due to a spine problem. Pain is not a feature of cancer. Cancer causes pain only in very late stages when the disease itself has been well recognized. I can give you my words that your pain has nothing to do with cancer so please don't get stressed. Dry cough can sometime be due to acid reflux from stomach so trying OTC capsule omeprazole 20 mg twice daily can be really helpful. You must get chest X ray but there is no single reason to be stressed about cancer. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards