Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had problems with a blocked ear ever since flying

Customer Question

Hi. I have had problems with a blocked ear ever since flying back from Dubai to Riyadh. I was in Dubai for a week and had no issues with my ears, it is a very hot and humid place. Riyadh is where I live and it is Hot, Dry and very dusty.
I went to a ENT specialist 2 weeks ago who gave me a nasal spray together with an antihistamine and told me it was allergic rhinitis. Unfortunately 2 weeks of using that did no good to me. So I went to another ENT specialist today who told me he didn't see anything up my nose other than a little dryness, my ears showed no signs of inflammation, he asked me to close my nose and blow and said he saw the ears moving. He told me to take some decongestant nasal spray. Problem is I am flying in 4 days and I would really like this issue solved as it's giving me anxiety ( I have a history of anxiety and panic attacks) The test they do to check ear pressures showed a nice pyramid according to them was fine. What do you recommend? I would like this solved asap as I am reading horror stories about burst ear drums etc on taking flights.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. You obviously have what's called a patulous Eustachian tube and actually antihistmines and decongestants can make that worse, not better.

A Neti pot or a saline nasal spray can help this, but you should ask your doctor about a combination prescription of prednisone 20 mg a day for a week combined with a diurectic like 25 mg hydrochlorothiazed daily for a week

Let me know if your need any more information about this please

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you have other questions Asif
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, so would I be ok to fly with these Issues? I was given saline solution initially for a week but that made my ears worse, then I was put on the other spray. Initially the doctor said my nose was showing signs of Allergic rhinitis. How would I know for sure it is a Patulous Eustachian tube and not congestion?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It is a kind of congestion but your are OK to fly, but you still should ask about the medications I mentioned
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** see an ENT specialist again or should I see an audiologist, I have heard they are better to diagnose this issue than ENT specialists?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I suggest you go back to the ENT
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok last question, prednisone or prednisolone?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Prednisone