Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I might have consumed grapefruit yesterday and I take Quetiapine

I might have consumed grapefruit yesterday and I take Quetiapine XL to treat a personality disorder, along with Propranolol and Venlafaxine for anxiety and depression.
I ate a Japanese salad at 3pm yesterday (some 31 hours ago), and it had a very citrusy dressing which may have contained juice from Japanese fruit that could replicate the Grapefruit interaction. There was barely 100ml of dressing altogether, it wasn't "swimming" in it, but I'm very concerned it could cause problems.
I took the Quetiapine XL later than usual last night because of the salad (at 2:00 AM, whereas I usually take it at midnight) and assume this is why I've felt very irritable and exhausted today.
Is it likely to cause problems? Obviously it's the weekend, so I can't see my doctor until Monday at the earliest.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

no, that small amount of citrus juice will not affect the absorption of your quetiapine or your other medications.

don't let your anxiety get out of control with worry

your medication absorption will be fine

the japanese salad gressing is mostly grated onion and very little citrus.

http://www.food.com/recipe/japanese-steakhouse-ginger-salad-dressing-copycat-shogun-steak-111829

only 2 tsp of lemon juice

you don't have to worry

let me know if you have questions.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank-you for replying quickly, just a small question, the salad I ate was called kaiso salad from Yo Sushi, but I'm assuming the small amount of dressing with that still wouldn't be problematic? Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
yes, the small amount of citris in the salad dressing would not be problematic

you don't have to worry

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com