Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

7 weeks ago I had a brain tumor removed (Olfactory

7 weeks ago I had a brain tumor removed (Olfactory Groove Meningioma.) I now have a minor cold and sore throat and would like to take Night Nurse Liquid tonight.
My current medication is
500 mg Keffra per day in two doses
30 mg Propranolol per day ins 3 doses (this is recently prescribed due an increase in heart rate and blood pressure, possibly associated with the side effects of Keppra)
Paracetamol, when required for pain albeit this is down to a minimum
Oramorph, when required for pain albeit I rarely take this.
Vitamin B + Thiamin 1 tablet daily of each.
Am I ok to take Night Nurse tonight if I dont take any other paracetamol products.?
Sheila T
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is OK to take NIght Nurse along with these medicines, although there are a couple of minor issues.

The Night Nurse may cause sedation, as adding any drug that may cause sedation to Keppra can cause an excessive amount of sedation. This is primarily a concern if there is a need for alertness, such as driving a car. A medicine that may cause sedation also may augment the effect of propranolol on blood pressure, and may cause lightheadedness or dizziness.

The vast majority of people will not have any difficulty with this combination, but it is advised that there should be caution when any drug that may cause sedation is added to Keppra or propranolol, particularly with driving.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.