Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I was recently in touch with Dr Shahzad; and I told him

Hi. I was recently in touch with Dr Shahzad; and I told him that just less than a week ago, last Sunday night, I drank more that intended to, having misread the label. So I drank six, rather than three units: although an alcoholic more than 20 years ago, I’ve barely drunk since then, and only drink very occasionally, once, maybe twice a week, and relatively little. However, this quantity of wine upset my stomach, giving me mild nausea, and a gassy stomach. I also tend to extreme anxiety, which means my stomach is quite often a little upset. I saw a nurse, and she said I’d irritated my stomach, but as there was no pain, or other alarming symptoms, it wasn’t serious, and would pass. Which is what has happened, my stomach has pretty well healed now. I was wondering though what I was suffering from, was it just dyspepsia? Or perhaps gastritis? Am in danger of gastritis if I drink again today, or tomorrow?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

You probably suffered from an acute inflammation of the lining of the stomach which is known as acute gastritis and can occur after drinking too much alcohol. Alcohol irritates the stomach lining, which makes the stomach more likely to be harmed by digestive juices, and hence excessive alcohol use is more likely to cause acute gastritis.

Take care.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** I consider abstinence from alcohol? Should I investigate this condition, or will it pass?

Dear customer,

This will resolve with medications and the stomach lining will heal. With anxiety and gastrointestinal symptoms after taking alcohol it is always better to avoid alcohol. Alcohol can irritate the mucous lining of the stomach. Alcohol can also worsen anxiety.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** took Gaviscon Advance several times...it seemed to help. I feel a lot better now. Is it good stuff?

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

If you feel better now then no need to take any other medications. Just make sure that you avoid irritating foods and alcohol and also decrease your stress.

Take care.