Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am getting tiny little black things in my urine. urine is

Customer Question

i am getting tiny little black things in my urine. urine is clear.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Are these black particles or are they larger than that?

How long has this been going on?

Any burning on urination or back pain?

Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Can you answer those questions please Moya?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes tiny black particles, only visible by urinating on a tissue and looking at it. i did this because of the burning sensation on the left side during urination or even when i sit down. i was sexually assaulted two years ago. i got a pain in front left side, within a year i went for tests stds but all were clear. i do have pain or discomfort in my back left hand side. This is second to the discomfort when i sit down. i had a ct scan of the kidney and bladder and abdomen but it was clear. Bloods have shown nothing either. i am really worried.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

So you've seen a doctor about this?

Have you had a urinalysis and how long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have not had a urinalysis. this is going on, on and off with two years but the pain on my left side only recently. an std doctor checked my urine but i did not mention the black particles, as i had not noticed them at the time. what should i ask her to look for.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well you need a urinalyisis, urine culture, and since these are either from a bladder infection or a bladder polyp or something called interstitial cystitis--a chronic bladder wall inflammation, if it isn't an infection you'd need to see a urologist for cystoscopy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you be clear if this is a form of an std, or if it could be a cancer.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, not an STD and I don't think it's cancer of any type but it definitely needs further evaluation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi can you tell me what the symtoms of bladder polyp and interstitial cystitis is. this really only got painful a couple of times over the past year. when the black particles are there, i seem to have tiny blood spotting as well. I can feel a little hot and cold with it, more cold than hot.

Where are the black particles coming from.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The polyp may only cause blood in the urine but the cystitis can cause pelvic and back pain and pain on urination
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why is it only on the left side

If it is cystitis can this also cause blood spotting?

How is it treated.

If this fails could you please tell me what a urologist would be looking for in a cystoscopy?

thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

It sometimes can be just on one side and not on both

Yes it can

But it could be just a bladder infection and antibiotics would clear that up

The interstitial cystitis is treated with medications like gabapentin and amitryptilene

The cystoscopy would be to look for polyps and to do biopsies if it looks like interstitial cystitis

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pain seems to have come only during ovulation time, and my doctor had thought it was just mid cycle pain. ?

last week i received shocking news about an ill relative and it was as though my left side collapsed and the pain came back with the other symptoms. Are any of what you suggested reacted by stress.?

If my doctor feels it is inflammation is it still advisable to do a biopsy. and could you clarify why black particles come if it is cystitis. Can this turn into something more dangerous in the future.

I have just had my first abnormal pap test, are the two matters related at all?

(I think i have asked all the questions i had,)

I am very much afraid of something developing into a cancer, should i be reassured that the ct scan was clear or is it possible that this is not a good indication. ( as stated before the ct scan of the kidneys and bladder was negative, however i do feel inflammation)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Mid cycle pain is a thought but it wouldn't cause the black particles in your urine

The back pain could also be from a disk problem in your lumbar spine so I would also get an MRI of that

If it isn't a urinary tract infection and there is blood in your urine then you need the biopsy

Not related at all to your PAP results

I do not think there's any reason to think of cancer here Moya

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but could you please clarify if it is cystitis, an inflammatory condition, what could they expect to find in a biopsy, what are they looking for or to prove?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The biopsy would be needed to confirm the diagnosis of interstitial cystitis--biopsies aren't always done to look for cancer Moya.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you. Can i take from this that the black particles are old blood or is there a possibility that it might be something else related to this inflammation.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I think they are very small blood clots Moya
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** finally clarify, the tiny blood clots, and the inflammation, can this also lead up into the kidney, which would explain the back discomfort.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The back pain might be referred from the bladder but your back pain may have nothing to do with your kidneys or your bladder Moya
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure Moya but keep in touch and let me know how it goes