Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have keratosis at five sites on my back...sometimes my clothing

I have keratosis at five sites on my back...sometimes my clothing snags...and at times they itch dreadfully. Can you advise an appropriate treatment, please.
Pat.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Did the Dermatologist say what type of keratosis?
I had asked for a clarification of the type of keratosis. The most likely are seborrhoeic keratoses, but there are other types of keratoses.

The vast majority of seborrhoeic keratoses do not need treatment, and some people get so many that it would be impractical to try to treat all of them. However, when a keratosis is bothersome, such as being irritated by catching on or rubbing by clothing, then it may be appropriate to remove a seborrhoeic keratosis.

The best treatment for seborrhoeic keratoses are techniques that would require a doctor visit, such as excision, electrocautery, or freezing. There is no home treatment method that has been shown to be as effective as what can be done by a doctor. There is a home freezing method that is marketed for treatment of warts, and while it has not been shown to be effective for seborrhoeic keratoses, it would be OK to try.It also is claimed that apple cider vinegar can be used to treat seborrhoeic keratoses, but there is no solid clinical evidence of the effectiveness of this approach.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.