Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Recent blood screening and MCV level of 106.1 and monocytes

Recent blood screening and MCV level of 106.1 and monocytes 10.9%
Should I be worried??
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

MCV or mean corpuscular volume levels above 100 can be a sign of low B12 or low folate levels in your system if your are having anemia or low red blood cell counts or low hemoglobin levels.

you should ask your doctor to check your B12 levels and folate levels if your hemoglobin levels are low.

what is most important is for your white blood cell and hemoglobin and hematocrit levels and platelets to be normal

as for your monocytes, there are many different types of white blood cells: neutrophils, macrophages, monocytes, lymphocytes, basophils, eosinophils, etc.

your bone marrows makes each as needed to help your immune system keep you healthy.

you shouldn't be worried.

most likely your blood levels are going to be fine.

these are not signs of cancer or anything.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the quick response. I guess my primary concern is liver disease, which reading online, can be a cause of these elevated readings. I am a moderate drinker and have regular anxiety about my liver. I know this must sound stupid as the obvious answer is just stop drinking. While that is an option, I am very sociable and alcohol is widely used in my family and friends circle when socializing.

Your response and time is appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you are correct that stopping alcohol or at least cutting down your alcohol use substantially is the best way to prevent liver injury and prevent future problems with your liver.

regular use of alcohol can cause low levels of B12 and folate levels in your body

so you would benefit from taking a multivitamin daily if you are drinking alcohol regularly.

your levels don't point to liver injury at this time

but you should talk to your doctor to check your B12 and folate levels

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com