Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have rheumatoid arthritis, diverticulitis and I am now anaemic. I

Customer Question

I have rheumatoid arthritis, diverticulitis and I am now anaemic.
I have been given iron tablets from GP and told to eat red meat etc. I have also been told not to get constipated because of the diverticulitis. Since I have started this diet and medication it has inflamed by joints to the point I can hardly walk. I have always gone to alternative medicines but after some bleeding with the diverticulitis (had all the scopes) I do not know an alternative for getting my blood back to normal. I am still trying to stay away from the methytrexate for the arthritis.
Can you help?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

the excessive meats could be increasing your uric acid levels in your blood and this can cause worse joint pains

high uric acid levels in the blood can cause gout inflammation in your joints.

you might need to get your blood uric acid levels checked to see if they are high.

if they are high, you could have both gout and rheumatoid arthritis which can be affecting your joints.

there are medications like allopurinol which can help lower your uric acid levels and help prevent gout pain in your joints.

you can get iron from your pills and spinach and kale to help your iron deficency

you have to eat more prunes and fiber and use laxatives to help prevent constipation.

hopefully this will help your joints.

rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition where your body makes antibodies which attack your joints.

so you still need agents like methotrexate or steroids like prednisone to suppress your immune system to help your RA symptoms

let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Chip and I'd like to talk to you some more

Can you tell me more about your anemia and how it's been evaluated?