Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have just listened to a radio programme about breast cancer

Customer Question

I have just listened to a radio programme about breast cancer and that symptoms are not always a lump. I am most alarmed. I have had on my left breast two dimples (like lines running about an inch under my nipple for a long time (years I think)
I have very small breasts - hardly any breast tissue at all to be honest and as I have aged (I am 49 now) the dimples appear worse
Advice please
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. A few questions first please

Dimples are in my mind indentations and not lines but circles. so can you further describe these please?

Has your doctor ever commented on them?

Have you ever had a mammogram?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Can you answer those questions please Sue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi - Yes... I think I would describe them as indentations - two of them. One to the right of my nipple (away from the armpit if that makes sense and one at the bottom of my breast towards the armpit. I suppose they rather look like the dimples you would see in someone's butt... sorry but that's the way I can describe them best. I have taken a pic on my mobile.. can I send?

You cant feel them at all

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The photo would help a lot if you could post it on this page but in the meantime again has a doctor seen these and have you had a mammogram?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I meant to answer - no doc has ever looked at my breasts and no mammogram

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--now the photo please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Sue. And just to check those have been there for years and have basically remained the same?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think so yes - but you start wondering! I am pretty sure that they have been there a number of years and I think about the same but maybe they are a little more pronounced now as I am ageing as things are moving south a bit.

I recall noticing them a while ago and thinking they were quite unsightly until they had a bit of tan on them.. I have possibly always had them but again I am worrying that maybe I haven't and there seems to be no innocent cause of them on the internet other than the dreaded 'C'

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK. I understand your concern Sue but there's nothing at all to worry about with these. They're caused by premenopausal hormonal changes and are not a sign of breast cancer.

That said, you do need to have routine breast exams by a doctor and to have a mammogram about every three years.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again.. sorry I have another question. If the dimples are caused by hormonal changes - how come I had these before I became perimenopausal? I think I may have had them many many years!

What exactly in the breast tissue is causing them - I don't think there are any lumps

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Actually the perimenopausal condition can start in many women in their late 30's

This isn't a lump issue--it's just an antrophy--wasting away if you will--of some of the fatty breast tissue

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to be a pain - so if these have been there many many years and there is no lump - then they are innocent?

sorry to question you but the radio programme has sent me into a right frenzy!! The radio programme seemed to indicate that all dimples of breast tissue are potentially cancer but that there may not be any lump... I don't get it really - I would have thought if you had breast cancer (especially if your breasts are small) there would be some sort of lump or thickening to feel.

Are they literally like you would get a dimple on you buttocks?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Yes--completely innocent Sue.

With breast cancer there would be a thickening or a lump felt

And yes--exactly like a dimple in the buttocks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much. I have rated as excellent. Thanks again

Sue

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Sue