Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a drink problem and my GP thought that I would benefit

Customer Question

I have a drink problem and my GP thought that I would benefit from taking antabuse medication especially as I work and have an extremely stressful job. This was also suggested by the alcohol abuse team member at a hospital I was being treated at. I was very very keen to start the medication as it had helped a number of aquaintences in my smart group. However after being referred to Lifeline the nurse there said I was a binge drinker and did not meet the requirements for taking the drug. My GP was dismayed I was very upset my friends in my group could not believe this. Can I see a private clinician or psychiatrist to be assessed for antabuse and what are the 'new rules for prescribing suitable patients for antabuse?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I really don't know why you were told that and Antabuse is for binge drinking too.

Your own doctor can prescribe it for you--he would have no restrictions for that

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Paul--can I ask why the negative rating--was that a mistake?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I access a clinician who will be able to assess and prescribe antabuse as my GP feels he cant prescribe as he has no experience of prescribing this medication previously.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK--I didn't know that.

Where exactly do you live?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I live in York

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK. Here's the link your or your GP need to call

http://www.priorygroup.com/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your advice to ring the priory group was not helpful as there are no priory groups or clinics near me in York except one which deals with learning difficulties which was why I

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about that. Here's the person you need to contact

http://www.york.ac.uk/healthsciences/our-staff/simon-gilbody/