Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Over the past four months I have changed my diet to incorporate

Over the past four months I have changed my diet to incorporate more of the vitamins and anti-oxidants associated with reducing the causes of DiHydroTestosterone (DHT). I have found that the previously hairless area of my head - this is classic MPB - is now covered in very weak, colourless hair. There have been quite a few full strength hair grow back, probably about 3-4% of the 'grow back'. Please would you advise my on the best product to strengthen and permanently thicken the weak hair?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried any medicines for hair loss?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are medicines for hair loss? I know there are lots of rubbish that don't work - rogain for instance. In answer to your question, no I haven't tried anything other that explained. When I began there was no hair on my scalp at all, now there is the very fine short stuff that doesn't grow out. What do you recommend I do?

There are a couple of options in this situation.

Rogaine is not just rubbish. It has relatively mild potency, which is why it is available over the counter, but there clearly is stronger evidence to support this product than the use of vitamins and anti-oxidants. It is far better at arresting hair loss than regrowing hair, but a fair percentage will get regrowth of hair. However, it has the distinct advantage that it can be obtained without seeing a doctor.

The other option is a prescription drug called finasteride that works for male pattern baldness by inhibiting the enzyme that forms DHT from testosterone. However, most men will try Rogaine before consulting a doctor for a prescription of finasteride.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I have regrown very slight, thin, weak hair, is it worth using regain; i.e. will it thicken the hair? Or is there anything out there that will be able to thicken the hair permanently? Or, should I simply be asking the doctor for finasteride?

For all of these products, they may work indefinitely while the product is being used, but would not be considered permanent from the perspective of an ongoing effect after the product is stopped. It is worth trying the Rogaine, and if the Rogaine is not sufficient, to ask your doctor for finasteride.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

And rogain should thicken the hair?

Yes, if the Rogaine is successful at regrowing the hair, it will also thicken the hair.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am currently using a protein based one that comes with an accompanying conditioner. To be honest I think I'm a bit gullible...................what shampoo type do you recommend, or do you recommend a specific brand?

There are several good shampoos on the market that can help to strengthen hair, with an example being Pantene Pro-V Full & Thick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your advice Dr Love. i have started to use the Rogain and will let you know how it progresses.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Doc,

I've been using the rogain for two and a half weeks and can already tell a small, but not insignificant improvement. Do you recommend I start using Pantene Pro-V Full & Thick immediately?

Yes, it would be appropriate to use the shampoo when the improvement in hair is noticeable.