Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

What happens if 40ml is injected with a syringe into the jugular

Customer Question

What happens if 40ml is injected with a syringe into the jugular vein?
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and welcome to Justanswer.
It depends on the substance injected. Which one was it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi , I'm so sorry I thought I put that in my initial question

It was air.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

There would be a possibility of an air embolus to the heart which could obstruct blood flow and potentially cause death but in general the air bolus would have to be around 150-200 cc of air. With a lesser amount of air injected there may be some chest pain for a time but the air would soon dissipate in the atrium or ventricle of the heart

Let me know if you need more information please

Thank you for your answer.
Like my colleague Dr. Chip already wrote you, this is not enough air to cause an air embolus. If the event happend a couple of hours ago and nothing happend, you will be on the safe side.
But still be careful with air while injecting fluids in future; in unlucky cases a little amount may be sufficient to obstruct the blood flow.
All the best!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would I have any symptoms? Also when I feel my neck and around my collar bone, it feels. likeI'm touching bubble wrap?

It ist immpossible to get a bubble under the collar bones from that air. It would appear in the heart, not in the skin or lungs.
In your heart it could cause a short chest pain. At what time happened the incident?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was a couple of days ago. So what am I feeling in my neck?

Oh, then you are on the very safe side! This feeling may be a result of a nerval irritation caused by muscle tenseness.
I hope you lost your anxiousness now! If so, I thank you for a friendly feedback. If there is still a question left, do not hesitate to ask. I will be offline for a while but come back to you then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I also injected about 60mls of air into my pick line last week, but all that did was give me heart burn, I suppose all they air has dissipated by now,?

PLEASE can you tell me what Vein I should I use, what symptoms would I have , and finally how long it would take for it all to be over?

Thank you for your patience!
Yes, the air has dissipated a couple of days ago.
I do not understand your question. Do you want to end your life?