Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have an HIV question. What does seroconversion do to a

I have an HIV question.
What does seroconversion do to a WBC? I had sex on 13 June. I "bottomed". A condom was used however and didn't break. The partner has since told me he is negative and recently had a test (two days ago). I'm using his word but there is no reason to suggest he would lie. i had a blood test on 10 July (have had a long standing cold since the end of May) and my WBC count is low. Below the range (2.50). The Dr said it's likely because of my prolonged infection and cold (lasted over a month with multiple antibiotics courses needed) but asked my HIV status. I said I was negative to my knowledge (haven't had any unsafe sex in fact the 11 June episode was the first time ever). I'm probably over reacting but in the event I contracted HIV on 13 June would it show up as a low WBC less than a month later? I haven't had any further cold or flu symptoms or rashes or aches or fever since having the sex mentioned.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Yes you are over reacting because it is not possible to get low WBC count 1 month after the exposure and that too when the exposure was not there for sure. Even if you contracted HIV on 13th June, it can't cause low WBC count so early so forget HIV please. There are multiple other causes for low WBC count like;
1. Diseases related to bone marrow where bone marrow is not working properly or producing enough white blood cells
2. Bacterial or viral infections like we are suspecting in your case. In these infections there is an increased destruction of white blood cells
3. Autoimmune Disorders in which, the immune cells that normally defend the body against infections, mistakenly attack your own body's cells
4. Parasite Infections
5. As a side effect of medicines like antibiotics
6. Liver or Spleen Disorders
7. Nutritional or vitamin deficiencies
So you should get this test repeated after 2 weeks and proceed accordingly but I reassure you that you don't need to stress yourself for HIV. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards