Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I suffer once or twice a year with what seems to be worsening

Customer Question

I suffer once or twice a year with what seems to be worsening depressive episodes. I was fine one day then next morning I didnt want to face the day. That was 3 weeks ago and I havent been out of the house since. I dont wash, cant motivate myself to do anything. My stomach is very nervous and I get diarhea every day. I know it will pass but the waiting to get back to normal living seems never to happen. I am on Citalopram 20 mg and I have given up going to doctor for help because they dont seem to have any answers. I am 64 years old, loved and liked by those in my life when Im not like this. Can you help me seek some kind of answer to my well being?
Thank you, Anne
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
I am really sorry to hear about your problem.
With the symptoms that you are having, I would recommend that you should have your thyroid hormones tested, if you have not had that already.
I would also strongly recommend that you should maintain a close follow-up with your doctor.
If the thyroid hormones are low, this may very well be the cause of your depression.
If the citalopram is not working for your depression I would recommend that this be changed or you have something else like venlafaxine or wellbutrin added on.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me when you are done asking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you think 20 mg daily is strong enough for me? I do have thyroid medication, Levothyroxine and my thyroid is fine, tested 3 montbs ago.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
If your symptoms have not improved with the 20 mg dose like you mention then the dose can be increased to 40 mg per day.
Also, I would like that your TSH level should be around the 1 mark.
even though the normal range is between 0.3 to 3 it is best to maintain it around the 1 mark especially in people, like yourself, who could be suffering from symptoms of low thyroid in the form of depression.
So:
1. I would repeat the TSH to make sure it is 'optimally' controlled.
2. Once your TSH is optimal I would recommend that you should have your citalopram increased.
Let me know if you have more questions.