Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My son (9) has been seeing a paediatric endocronologist

Customer Question

Hi my son (9) has been seeing a paediatric endocronologist and a paediatrician for slow growth. He is steadily tracking the lowest percentile for his age for growth.There is no underlying health issues and X-rays have shown his bone age is 4 years behind his real age to there is growth potential apparently. A blood test showed a possible concern about ? some sort of thyroid hormone that may possibly be a marker for underactive thyroid. We are having another blood test in 3 months. The Drs we saw seemed almost blasé about his growth this time round saying "someone has to be the smallest". Should I worry or not? We are two years away from secondary transfer and if my son is still 4 years behind his actual age this could be a problem. Can I get a second opinion on the NHS? Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

yes, you can ask your GP for a second opinion through the NHS

but most likely other pediatric endocriniologist will continue to watch and wait as well.

I'm sure his pediatric endocrinologist have checked his growth hormone levels from the pituitary gland.

if his parents are not tall, it can be very normal for your son to be low on percentage growth charts.

you should not worry if your son is making progress on his growth chart. slow progress is still progress.

what was his thyroid hormone level testing results? TSH levels?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't understand that part of the consultation - I think it was out by 20 per cent. I will ring the paediatrician in the morning to get more info - can I come back to you? Best wishes and thanks!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
yes, you can come back and ask follow up questions

or give me more information.