Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 64 in reasonably good health and suffer occasionally from

I am 64 in reasonably good health and suffer occasionally from gout.
I am wondering what comments you might make between choosing a wedge resection or lobectomy,for a T1a No Mo cancerous nodule 1 1/2 centre metres on right lung near bottom my right lobe? Macroscopic description 3 cores of cream, grey red tissue ranging from 2.0 x 0.1 to 0.2 x 0.1.may not survive processing.
Needle core biopsies of lung parenchyma which show a modularity differentiated adenocarcinoma. The cells express CK7 and TTF-1 but not CK20.
I have a minimal smoking history from 40 + years ago.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Historically, a wedge resection was primarily considered in people with chronic lung disease in whom it was felt that the amount of lung tissue removed should be minimized. However, there is increasing evidence that wedge resection is equivalent to lobectomy in any person with a early peripheral lung cancer, including cancers that are smaller than 2 cm.

The wedge resection would still limit the amount of lung tissue removed, so the people that undergo wedge resection would typically maintain better lung function in the future. As a general rule, I advise my patient to strongly consider the least aggressive surgery that has been shown to be effective.

In your case, the description of the tumor would satisfy the criteria for which a wedge resection would be equivalent, and therefore, the least aggressive surgery that has been shown to be effective for you would be a wedge resection.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Have you any idea how long it takes to perform a wedge resection?

The surgery usually takes several hours.