Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Good afternoon, I have been having some problems with my throat I would like to someone ab

Good afternoon, I have been having some problems with my throat I would like to someone about. Around 4 weeks ago I felt unwell, my throat was sore and hurt in my right ear every time I swallowed, the pain got so bad in my ear I had to visit a doctor when on holiday, he looked in my throat an diagnosed me with tonsillitis and prescribed me penicillin for 7 days, I took the medication as directed but I still had a slight sort throat and my ear pain was a mild ache but present, i went back to my doctors who prescribed me some amoxacillin which I am still taking but the pain in my ear is still present and not looking like its easing up, why do i still have ear pain after 2 lots of antibiotics?
Also some history: In January 2013 i got a viral infection which caused a swelling of my right tonsil, the tonsil remained larger then the left but nothing too much to worry about, they are only slightly asymmetrical, i saw 2 ENT's who agreed nothing to worry about and both said its possible that
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. i am an ENT and can assist you. Do you feel symptoms like blocked ear, decreased hearing, nasal obstruction etc? Have you seen ent for this pain? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No congestion, obstruction or reduction in hearing.I haven't seen any ENT specialists since 2013 but I have seen 2 doctors, the first diagnosed tonsillitis the 2nd thought the infection was still present and prescribed me amoxicillin, I have been taking to amoxicillin since Monday.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Looks like some of my text was missing

*I saw 2 ENT's who agreed nothing to worry about and both said its possible that the irritation to the tonsil was due to acid reflux.

After a short while in 2013 after speaking to the ENT's my pain from the tonsil disappeared until this most recent occurrence.

Questions

1. Does this sound anything to like worry about like tonsil Cancer?

2. Why is the ear pain still present, does ear pain take a while to go?

3. I had a CT scan in 2013 for a sinus problem, would this CT scan have showed up any issues with the tonsil at the time? i.e a growth?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concerns but later you can ask anything you want.
No not at all. There is no need to worry about cancer with just one month history. Moreover your symptoms are not consistent with cancer.
This is referred pain. The main problem is your tonsillitis. It needs to settle down and once it is settled your ear pain will go away.
CT scan done in 2013 is not valid now but your symptoms are not consistent with sinus problem.
The point is how you should proceed now? You should see an ENT now because at this point you need a ENT. You may need further antibiotics but your doctor will decide. If your doctor think that this is tonsil infection then a good choice will be to get lincomycin antibiotic as it is good in such resistant cases. For ear pain, you should take Tylenol thrice daily. Slight difference in tonsil size is not significant so don't stress yourself regarding that. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply,
In regards ***** ***** CT scan if there was something wrong with the tonsil at the time the CT scan was performed on the sinuses in your opinion would it show up?
Do tonsils just take a long time to heal once they have been inflamed due to a virus/infection?
Can you have an infection but still feel fine? Apart from the slight ear ache & slight throat pain on the right side I generally feel fine, it's just taking a while to go so naturally I worry about it.
David
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. Usually in CT scan of sinuses, tonsils are not viewed. Most of the times tonsillitis settle within 2 weeks but it can linger on for longer and that doesn't mean cancer for sure. Yes you can have infection without much symptoms. In my opinion, there is no risk of cancer in your case, I have 10 years experience in ENT cancers and I reassure you not to worry. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the feedback you have already given me, if possible I would like to ask one more question. Is it possible I could be suffering from glandular fever / mono? The only reason I say this is because I'm very tired all the time at the moment which I put down before due to stress but it could be related, also prior to me getting the problems with my throat I had pain down my left side on the bottom of my rib cage for a while and I heard the spleen inflammation could also be a symptoms of Glandular Fever / Mono.

Thanks in advance

David

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Yes with the symptom of abdominal pain, we can think about that as well. If you have abdominal pain below rib cage on left side, get yourself checked for Mono. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Doc, Here is the latest,

I went back to my GP last Friday, she prescribed me Erythromycin 500mg 3 x per days for 10 days, if it hasn't cleared up bY then which at the moment its not looking like it is then I have to go back and get refereed to an ENT.

Ive also added a picture of what it looks like & circled what seems to be a white/yellow spot.